Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Puppet Master

Puppet Master was, for me, what one might call a "pleasant disappointment". I don't know what else to call it. We turned it on, hoping to laugh at a movie that was so-bad-it's-good. What we got was a movie that wasn't laughably bad, but wasn't particularly all that good, either.

The movie is about a bunch of psychics who stay at a hotel, where they are terrorized by a bunch of living, killer puppets. That's a pretty kooky plot, right? Even kookier, the movie takes itself pretty seriously.

The puppets were actually very cool. You don't see too much of them for the first two acts, unfortunately. I liked the combination of real puppets and stop motion animation. I'm a nut for both of those things. I particularly liked the guy with a tiny head and huge arms and (sometimes) real human hands. Also, the girl one that vomits leeches on you, after making throwing up sounds for five minutes.

There are like 10 of these movies, and I see the potential in killer puppets for both goodness and so-bad-it's-goodness. I hear one thing the fans appreciate is the level of attention the makers pay to the series' continuity, something that very very few horror franchises bother with, especially in later entries. I've got to respect that.

I wish I had enjoyed this movie more, one way or the other. A less serious tone would have helped me genuinely like it. I guess shittier, more inept filmmaking would have make me like it more for the wrong reasons, but I can't blame these guys for not sucking enough. Good for them for making a movie that people really responded to, enough to eventually get nine sequels.

5 comments:

  1. I think you might enjoy the second one a lot more. They introduce a couple more puppets that got to be fan favorites, and the tone is lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. god I hope someone searches leech vomiting for this! Small head human hands is pin head, leech vomiter is actually called leech woman. As far as the continuity goes, they keep the same characters, but the time line is a little messed up. As far as prequels take place after Toulon dies and yet he's the main character in the prequels? but yes it is better than most horror franchises. Part 3 has the puppets killing Nazis jim! NAZIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. who are you flashy? and why don't you comment on my blog? I know it's really unpleasant to read but COME ON! I love comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspected the sequels would be more fun. Killer puppets should be a little silly, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. But theoretically killer puppets + anything should equal gold. Killer puppets vs psychics could have been crazy!

    ReplyDelete